Posts tagged ‘Iraq’
This is what freedom looks like. It has to be taken and it has to be earned – not given.
Can it be helped along? Certainly. The French can fight with the American rebels, but not for them. America can send some jets and missiles to assist, but should not lead the way. Others can fight with the rebellion…but they cannot fight for the rebellion. See Iraq as an example of the failure of trying to give freedom to a group who doesn’t want to take it.
And while it’s early to declare a rebel victory in Libya, it appears they are well on their way and I say GOOD WORK to those who are fighting.
Euphoric Libyan rebels raced into the capital Tripoli on Sunday and moved close to center with little resistance as Moammar Gadhafi’s defenses collapsed and his regime appeared to be crumbling fast.
Associated Press reporters with the rebels said they moved easily from the western outskirts into the regime stronghold in a dramatic turning of the tides in the 6-month-old Libyan civil war. A rebel leader said the unit in charge of protecting Gadhafi and Tripoli had surrendered and joined the revolt, allowing the opposition force to move in freely.
Earlier in the day, the rebels overran a major military base defending the capital, carted away truckloads of weapons and raced to Tripoli with virtually no resistance.
Wouldn’t be too much of a shame if that Lockerbie bomber bastard didn’t make it through the rebellion, either.
What’s not to love?
· The Economy is a total mess
· The Fed bailout of Freddie/Fannie helps Communist China but doubles the US debt and leaves taxpayers on the hook.
· The war is sucking up billions of dollars of real money (the people involved in this are cashing ‘real’ checks for ‘real’ money) and costing thousands their livelihoods and their lives (Over 4,000 since “Mission Accomplished” day). Honor the troops.
· Global warming is getting worse and the USA is the only modernized country not participating in the Kyoto protocols.
· The Taliban (the ones who were really involved with 09/11 by protecting Al-Qaeda) are back in power and Bin Laden hasn’t been a priority since Bill Clinton tried to kill him.
· The quagmire has left us unable to fight effectively in Afghanistan or to posture against Iran or Russia (or anyone else)
· According to actuary tables there’s a chance McCain dies in the next 4 years and the proposed VP – 1 ½ year leader of the 47th most populous state is completely unprepared to manage the entire country and face global leaders and international threats. The hockey-mom who became president is good in a Disney movie but terrifying in the real world.
· Palin believes global warming is a joke, believes rape victims should be charged for their own medical exam, believes that parents and churches don’t teach religion well enough and the already burdened school teachers should teach religion (regardless of your family’s religious beliefs). Palin’s husband is a secessionist who was a member of an anti-American party of nearly a decade. Palin participated in the party’s 2008 convention.
· The national debt has reached record highs and just jumped 5 trillion to bail out Fannie/Freddie (who paid their CEO’s millions over the past 2 years).
· The federal government is running record deficits.
· Health care is increasing at 10 times over income
· College tuition is increasing at double the rate of inflation
· Highest food inflation and lowest Consumer Confidence Index since George H Bush was president.
· Unemployment is rising
· The dollar is weakening
· …All while big businesses are setting record profits
· Federal laws (FISA), Constitutional protection (Habeas Corpus (Article 1)) and Global treaties (Geneva Conventions) are being broken with the authorization and support of the highest levels of government
· We have admitted to and defended the use of torture
· Undercover CIA agents have been exposed (for showing the White House deceit regarding WMD)
· Bush flew to Arizona to eat birthday cake with McCain while on TV we watched a city drown
Obama vs McCain – he shoots, he scores!
On Friday Mr. McCain went so far as to say that the idea of a 16-month withdrawal, which Mr. Obama supports, was “a pretty good timetable,”
Obama vs Bush – High-level talks…now where I have heard that before? Gooooaaaaal!
Republicans also say the administration’s decision to authorize high-level talks with Iran and North Korea has undercut Mr. McCain’s skepticism about engagement with those countries.
I wonder else he’s right about?
New York Times
This is a LOT of awesome!
McCain Video 2
McCain: “The neighborhoods are safe – we walk down the streets with no body armor on.”
Fact: McCain’s delegation was guarded by more than 100 American Soldiers, with 3 Blackhawk Helicopters, and 2 Apache Gunships overhead. (And McCain was wearing armor).
McCain: “General Petraeus goes out there almost every day in an unarmed Humvee.”
Interviewer, the next day: I checked with General Petraeus’s people last night and they said he never goes out in anything less than an up-armored humvee.
These are all McCain:
“Of course those tax cuts have to remain permanent”
“I voted against the tax cuts”
“I voted to extend them”
“I voted against the tax cuts” (this is a different interview than above).
“I’ve always been for the tax cuts”
McCain Video 1
“The success will be fairly easy.”
“I believe that we can win an overwhelming victory in a very short period of time.”
“I knew it was probably going to be long and hard and tough and those who voted for it and thought that somehow it was gonna be some kind of an easy task, then I’m sorry that they were mistaken. Maybe they didn’t know what they were voting for.”
“The Confederate flag is offensive in many, many ways, as we all know. It’s a symbol of racism and slavery.”
3 days later: “Personally, I see the flag as a symbol of heritage.”
Should gay marriage be allowed? (Chris Matthews)
“I think that gay marriage should be allowed.”
11 minutes later: “I do not believe that gay marriages should be legal.”
Are you against Civil Unions for gay couples? (Stephanopoulos)
“No, I am not.”
What a hypocrite…