Posts tagged ‘Economy’
WASHINGTON – The number of homeowners ensnared in the foreclosure crisis grew by more than 70 percent in the third quarter of this year compared with the same period in 2007, according to data released Thursday.
By the end of the year, properties for sale in the U.S. expects more than a million bank-owned properties to have piled up on the market, representing around a third of all
If you saw tonight’s debate, you saw Governor Sarah Palin give a spirited defense of the same disastrous policies that have failed us for the past eight years.
She couldn’t identify a single area where she or John McCain would change George W. Bush’s economic or foreign policy positions.
If you want something different, Barack and I need your help.
Make a donation of $5 or more right now to bring about the change we need.
The change we need is fixing this broken economy from the bottom up — not tax breaks for the wealthy and huge corporations that ship U.S. jobs overseas. We need to focus on defeating al Qaeda and the Taliban and restoring America’s standing in the world — not an unending commitment in Iraq.
Let’s be clear: Governor Palin and Senator McCain are offering nothing but more of the same failed Bush policies at home and abroad, trying to disguise them in the rhetoric of change.
No one can flip his position more than John McCain. He is the master.
On Monday (September 15th) he tells America the economy is doing well – no need to worry: “The fundamentals of the economy are strong”.
The following week (September 24th) he has to suspend his campaign becuase the economy is in such disarray that the presidential race should be put on hold.
WOW. That is one end of the spectrum to the other. Unless you believe that economy went south between September 16th and September 24th, he’s either completely out of touch or he doesn’t mind lying to the voters.
What’s not to love?
· The Economy is a total mess
· The Fed bailout of Freddie/Fannie helps Communist China but doubles the US debt and leaves taxpayers on the hook.
· The war is sucking up billions of dollars of real money (the people involved in this are cashing ‘real’ checks for ‘real’ money) and costing thousands their livelihoods and their lives (Over 4,000 since “Mission Accomplished” day). Honor the troops.
· Global warming is getting worse and the USA is the only modernized country not participating in the Kyoto protocols.
· The Taliban (the ones who were really involved with 09/11 by protecting Al-Qaeda) are back in power and Bin Laden hasn’t been a priority since Bill Clinton tried to kill him.
· The quagmire has left us unable to fight effectively in Afghanistan or to posture against Iran or Russia (or anyone else)
· According to actuary tables there’s a chance McCain dies in the next 4 years and the proposed VP – 1 ½ year leader of the 47th most populous state is completely unprepared to manage the entire country and face global leaders and international threats. The hockey-mom who became president is good in a Disney movie but terrifying in the real world.
· Palin believes global warming is a joke, believes rape victims should be charged for their own medical exam, believes that parents and churches don’t teach religion well enough and the already burdened school teachers should teach religion (regardless of your family’s religious beliefs). Palin’s husband is a secessionist who was a member of an anti-American party of nearly a decade. Palin participated in the party’s 2008 convention.
· The national debt has reached record highs and just jumped 5 trillion to bail out Fannie/Freddie (who paid their CEO’s millions over the past 2 years).
· The federal government is running record deficits.
· Health care is increasing at 10 times over income
· College tuition is increasing at double the rate of inflation
· Highest food inflation and lowest Consumer Confidence Index since George H Bush was president.
· Unemployment is rising
· The dollar is weakening
· …All while big businesses are setting record profits
· Federal laws (FISA), Constitutional protection (Habeas Corpus (Article 1)) and Global treaties (Geneva Conventions) are being broken with the authorization and support of the highest levels of government
· We have admitted to and defended the use of torture
· Undercover CIA agents have been exposed (for showing the White House deceit regarding WMD)
· Bush flew to Arizona to eat birthday cake with McCain while on TV we watched a city drown
Presidential hopeful John McCain can’t remember how many multi-million dollar homes he has.
The media questioned McCain yesterday about just how many multimillion dollar homes he owns. And just what was McCain’s response? “I think – I’ll have my staff get to you,” he said. “It’s condominiums where – I’ll have them get to you.”
The fact that McCain couldn’t remember how many mansions he has proves how elitist and divorced from economic reality he truly is. That’s why McCain admitted economics is not his strongest suit, and why he offered a budget plan that would create the largest debt in our country since World War II. That’s why he proposed tax hikes on employer-based health care, doesn’t know the price of gas, and has no appreciation for the struggles of hard-working Americans facing foreclosure.
This reminds me of when George Bush, Sr. didn’t know the price of a carton of milk or how to use a supermarket checkout counter machine. It was a story the media seized because it illustrated just how out of touch a candidate could be on the economy.
and the Brave New team
Wholesale prices rising at fastest pace since 1981
Wholesale inflation surged by 1.2 percent in July, more than double what had been expected
How much would it take to buy the US? At today’s prices, the net worth of the USA is roughly equal to 400 billion barrels.