Archive for August, 2011
This is what freedom looks like. It has to be taken and it has to be earned – not given.
Can it be helped along? Certainly. The French can fight with the American rebels, but not for them. America can send some jets and missiles to assist, but should not lead the way. Others can fight with the rebellion…but they cannot fight for the rebellion. See Iraq as an example of the failure of trying to give freedom to a group who doesn’t want to take it.
And while it’s early to declare a rebel victory in Libya, it appears they are well on their way and I say GOOD WORK to those who are fighting.
Euphoric Libyan rebels raced into the capital Tripoli on Sunday and moved close to center with little resistance as Moammar Gadhafi’s defenses collapsed and his regime appeared to be crumbling fast.
Associated Press reporters with the rebels said they moved easily from the western outskirts into the regime stronghold in a dramatic turning of the tides in the 6-month-old Libyan civil war. A rebel leader said the unit in charge of protecting Gadhafi and Tripoli had surrendered and joined the revolt, allowing the opposition force to move in freely.
Earlier in the day, the rebels overran a major military base defending the capital, carted away truckloads of weapons and raced to Tripoli with virtually no resistance.
Wouldn’t be too much of a shame if that Lockerbie bomber bastard didn’t make it through the rebellion, either.
From the “climb down off your high horse” department in the “office of exposing hypocrisy” we have a story from a church in the good god-fearing state of Alabama.
A deacon at an Alabama church stabbed the minister of music’s mother after her son tased the church’s pastor in a church brawl on Sunday evening after services.
The brawl involved between 12 and 15 people, said Lori Myles of the Mobile County Sheriff’s Office.
Great article written by Jim Rigby:
Five Scriptures You Won’t Hear at Rick Perry’s Prayer Event
“And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray in public places to be seen by others… But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your heavenly parent, who is unseen.” (Matt. 6:5-6)
If the hurricane that hit New Orleans and the 9/11 attacks were god’s wrath against tolerance of gays and other ‘liberal sins’, then isn’t the 2-year drought in Texas (worst on record) also god’s wrath for the behavior of conservatives in Texas and Oklahoma?
By giving voice to extremist religious views at his prayer rally, Perry is giving his explicit support of these beliefs.
A quick look at the event’s endorsement list features a who’s-who of extreme right-wing religious figures [including leaders of ‘Christian’ militant groups (like ‘SWAT’ – because when you think Christianity, you think militia)]. They warn of dire consequences for our nation: birds dying out because gays can serve in the military, hurricanes ravaging “sinful cities,” even Oprah Winfrey being a sign of the Apocalypse. Yet despite their outlandish beliefs and rhetoric, Perry features their support prominently on the event’s website.
ThinkProgress has compiled the top outlandish beliefs from pastors associated with Perry’s prayer rally:
– Oprah is a sign of the Apocalypse: In his channel on GOD TV, Mike Bicklecalled Oprah a “forerunner to the harlot movement.” Bickle also warned that traditional “marriage will be…defiled” as the “gay marriage agenda, which is rooted in the depths of Hell,” progresses.
– Blackbirds are dying because of gay soldiers: Dr. Cindy Jacobs recorded avideo declaring a connection between the repeal of Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell and the sudden death of blackbirds in Beebee, Arkansas as a divine punishment. She also called “girl-on-girl kissing” a “plague on society” and asked divine forgiveness for the violation of a woman’s “natural use.”
– The Statue of Liberty is a “demonic idol”: In various sermons, John Benefiel called the Statue of Liberty a “demonic idol.” He also expressed a belief that homosexuality is a plot contrived by the Illuminati “to limit the world population.”
– Hurricane Katrina was divine retribution for the city’s “sin”: John Hagee said residents of New Orleans were at fault for Hurricane Katrina: “I believe that New Orleans had a level of sin that was offensive to God and they were recipients of the judgment of God for that.” Hagee has also insinuated that “the Holocaust…was the fault of Jews themselves” and Hitler acted as a “hunter” corralling the Jews into Israel.
– Gay rights movement from the “pit of hell”: Dwight McKissic denouncedcomparisons between the civil rights movement and the gay rights movement because the latter is a “satanic anointment…inspired by the anti-Christ” that comes from the “pit of hell.” McKissic also said that “God uses natural disasters to punish evil,” pointing to Hurricane Katrina because “New Orleans flaunts sin.”
– Jesus actually opposed the minimum wage: Influential pastor David Barton has made a name for himself by distorting Biblical text to support his claim that Jesus opposed the minimum wage and the capital gains tax. Barton has also argued that public school students are getting “homosexual indoctrination.”
– Children of gay parents are like orphans of 9/11: During this year’s Faith and Freedom conference, ThinkProgress reported on Jim Garlow’s comparison of orphans of the September 11th attacks to children raised in same-sex households. Garlow is also known for his controversial allegation that African Americans have saved the country from the “enslavement of gay marriage.”
– Director of a Christian para-military group: Jay Swallow is the Director of SWAT, a “Christian Military Training Camp” organized “for the purpose of dealing with the occult and territorial enemy strong holds in America.” Participants of the training session sign a liability waiver before becoming “warriors” against “occult and territorial enemy strongholds in America.” Participants are also trained “how to pray for casinos on Native American land.”
– African Americans are “cursed” by homosexuals: Willie Wooten published abook about the curse of the African American people. He wrote that their tolerance of “immorality” in the Democratic Party begets curses of “adultery, incest, children from incestuous union, children born out-of-wedlock, destroyed virginity, bestiality, homosexuality, lesbianism.”
– Aubrey Murray
‘Gee, Thanks, But I Have To Wash My Hair’: Governors Skip Perry Prayer Rally
Texas Gov. Rick Perry had big plans for his exclusionary Christian prayer rally this Saturday (August 6th). He was so proud of the event that he invited all 49 other governors to attend.
The RSVPs to “The Response” have been trickling in, and it doesn’t look good. So far, the number of governors who plan to attend the event at Houston’s Reliant Stadium in person stands at exactly zero, notes theAmerican Independent.
The American Family Association (AFA), one of the groups organizing the event, is vociferously anti-gay. The AFA has been designated a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center.
Free Speech is entities who have the capability of speech….people. Why don’t we just go ahead and sell the government agencies to businesses directly – that’s about what we are already doing. Mittens Romney is the latest to receive massive cash contributions. We all know that business does not have the best interest of citizens at its heart. It never has, never will.
Firm gives $1 million to pro-Romney group, then dissolves
Records offer no clues who was behind mystery company that donated to ‘super PAC’
A mystery company that pumped $1 million into a political committee backing Mitt Romney has been dissolved just months after it was formed, leaving few clues as to who was behind one of the biggest contributions yet of the 2012 presidential campaign.
I tried to post to your blog, but I got an error when clicking the Submit button (“The specified URL cannot be found”), so I am posting my letter here.
Open letter to the US Fish & Wildlife Service:
Dear US FSW:
There is a kid in my area who is always trying to save wildlife. I read about you in Virginia and I was wondering how to report this kid so you could take some action. Maybe you could put a “Report a Conservationist” link on your homepage?
We don’t want Americans to help save any animals and you’re the group to handle the problem (telling that little girl you’re gonna throw her momma in jail for trying to save a bird?? That is just awesome!! It’s important to deter everyone, especially children, from having any interest in ecology – and to deter from having any respect for F&W agents.
This is also a great way to save the USA some serious money. Seems like those tree-hugging Democrats are always the ones voting to spend taxes on ‘protecting nature’ and we don’t need that! The world doesn’t need that. With your continued efforts, they might not complain about us cutting your spending and reducing your workforce. We need more “I was just following orders” agents like the one in Virginia. I know the law was intended (by liberals) to stop the killing of animals, but you know how to use the laws to intimidate children and I applaud it.
I read about the Fish & Wildlife Server and the wolves in WY – you did real good work there, too. Those wolves can just stay inside the park if they don’t want to get killed. And if those wolves won’t respect our boundaries of Yellowstone, shoot ’em! We can’t abide by anyone crossing a border whenever they want. And don’t tell me they don’t know understand they need to stay in the park…they know. They just cross the border to steal our
jobs livestock (I mean livestock, I got sidetracked ).
Now when you’re talking about killing some at-risk species – that is the time to get some ‘civilians’ involved. Leave the rest of the work to the “I just follow orders” soldiers of the FWS super-agents. Even after being alerted to the incident, the FWS still processed the citation against Alison Capo. With the ruthless behavior shown by FWS in Virginia, we could use your “nature people” (wink-wink) in Homeland Security.
Let me know how to report other kids who actively protecting injured animals – in violation of the laws of this great land. You could have tossed her in jail, maybe even got her fired for missing work as a result. Then Skylar would have really learned the lesson you’re trying to teach. I’m sorry to see you’re going to let this little girl and her mother get away with ‘not killing’. That’s the problem with this country, too many bleeding hearts out there. Well, maybe next time that kid wants to help someone smaller or weaker, she’ll think twice.
On behalf of the Republican party let me say: May God bless you and thanks for all you do!
Interior Secretary Ken Salazar and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Director Dan Ashe have agreed “in principle” to support a plan that would allow unregulated killing of wolves across most of Wyoming.
Let them know this is not an acceptable plan and that further protections are needed for wolves: